Progress on Velvet Spencer

Well, my red velvet spencer is at least semi-finished.  I wanted it in a hurry so I just whip-stitched up the hem at the waistline without attaching the skirts, and the lining isn’t sewn in at the arm-holes.  I put some buttons on it but even though I cut out the double-breasted version it only overlaps enough for one row of buttons.  It seems weird, because it fits otherwise, so I don’t think that it’s too small.

Other than that it’s turned out pretty well.  I really like the contrast between the velvet and the satin (I covered the buttons in satin too) and it fits nicely.  I got some good comments on it at the Jane Austen Festival on the weekend.  It was really too warm for it at the picnic but I wore it anyway, since I like it so much : )

I’d still like to attach the skirt, but I’m wondering if there’s a way I can do it so that it’s detachable.  It’d be cool to do that so that I could have it either long or short.  I was thinking of using press studs but I’m not sure if it’ll hang well, and it might make it too bulky at the waist.  Oh well, I’ll give it a go and see how it works.  So far I’ve sewn it together square, so I’d also like to work on making it curved at the front.

Advertisements

One Response to Progress on Velvet Spencer

  1. Aylwen says:

    I did that too, wore my spencer in the Bath promenade, even though it was so warm I glowed. I had waited so long to wear it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: